Saturday, June 16, 2007

how do you make a barn dance?

Count it off and give it a good beat!

Last night's contra dance in the sheep barn was fantastic! It took quite a bit of the community to pull it off, but we did it. I'm so thankful to everybody who had a hand in it, and there were so many hands involved. My two other planning buddies did a ton of work to set up the barn, while several other friends helped me sweep, mop, and decorate. We even got the Forestry and Grounds team to haul some furniture for us and the Harvest Barn to make us some refreshments. And the best part was yet to come.

The barn was packed for the whole dance. All kinds of community members were there, older folk, families, children. We had a big band with so many people popping in and out to play and then dance. We never had a small circle or line; we were almost dancing out the door! Even for the simpler dances, I was glad to see so many people twirling and stepping around with smiles and hoots.

Thank you, community. This is why I'm here. After the work is done and we forget just what in particular has brought us to this place, we feel like a big family. Our friends come back for a visit, and we get to lower our guards. Boundaries become less apparent, because we all essentially need the same thing: each other.

2 comments:

Monster Librarian said...

It was AWESOME! Great work!

Mummy Dearest said...

Lovely description; sorry I missed it. But I can remember, when I was 14 or so, being at the first barn dance held in that barn. It too was a magical night, and tons of fun.

Google