Friday, June 8, 2007

And the Livin' is Amazing


Whew! Another post today. What am I thinking?

I had to write after the day was all said and done. After a shower, I was off to the garden to work with some other community members on a children's garden we're building. As if the children we have here aren't a handful enough, we have to grow more. All morning on that project in the hot sun (not to mention riding my bike back and forth up the hill at least six times) was enough to put me in the mood for a dip in the brook. Which I did after lunch, a tennis game, and more gardening.


What a busy day! And those things just put me up to dinner (did I mention that on Friday nights, we have homemade pizza and farm-made ice cream?) which was followed by haying. If you've ever been to the Farm for a haying, you know what it's all about. Imagine 15 or more people rambling over a field of raked hay, gathering the cubes of fodder as they fall from the baler and tossing them to a waiting stacker on the wagon. Today, I graduated to driving the truck that pulls the wagon, and then on to that intimidating job of stacking the hay so that the bales don't tumble off and kill everybody. By the end we'd brought in just over three wagonloads, just in time for tonight's storm.


And then, my friends... a sauna. The day apparently was not hot enough for us so we crammed ourselves into a little wooden box that was about 145 degrees Fahrenheit and, oh I don't know what percent humidity. Couple that with a dip in the nearby brook and you have one of the most relaxing experiences I can imagine.

Tomorrow: rock climbing!

2 comments:

Kt said...

Ach, you're killing me. I really miss bringing in the hay, especially towards the end of the day when the air is turning cooler. Is it just me, or have they cut deeper into that hill at the gravel pit? It looks taller than I remember.

(Just as a side note, Blogger's word verification is asking me to type in "oavum." For some reason, I feel like I should be blushing.)

Monster Librarian said...

I miss those things...you sneak...stop trying to make us all homesick and willing to move back...I don't need any more encouragement!

Sounds like a lovely, busy way to spend a Friday! Can't wait to be there in less than a week! OY!

Google