Sunday, June 17, 2007

defeat

“3:00 – Haying,” read the Activities Board.

I glanced at my watch: 2:03. I had almost an hour to get some gardening done. I biked to Avalon to meet the Monster Librarian and asked her if she was interested. Then we heard thunder roll in the distance.

“Shoot. They’re probably down there right now trying to get the hay in before the storm hits. I should go now to see if they need help. Wanna come?”

I biked to the farm, hoping to beat the storm, yet praying it wouldn’t hit at all so I could play volleyball at 4 o’clock. German #2 had the same idea; we met at the barn, both on bikes.

Nobody was expecting the storm to come so early. Farmer Brown was already in the field making bales, so German #2 and I biked out to the field along with two other farmers, ready to gather 80 to 100 bales.

The sky was greying and the wind was coming faster as the baler spewed out one unbound bale after another. All we could do as we waited for the wagon was follow behind and throw the loose hay back onto the raked rows. The rain hit just as we started piling what bales there were into the back of the truck.

After gathering 20 bales, wet and plastered with bits of chaff, we looked over the field of damp hay. The rain stopped as the last bale was loaded onto the wagon, mocking our efforts: “There, you’ve finished. So have I.”

8 comments:

Kt said...

What went wrong with the baler? Honestly, at that point they should just spread the hay out, say "Let it dry again," and go play volleyball.

You should blog about your garden more so I can enjoy it vicariously. Even better - post an update on the absolute best feature of the entire farm: the bees. Oh bees. How I miss them.

Monster Librarian said...

Sorry I didn't make it down...this weekend felt super hyper and I was glad to sit at Avalon and be...with the kids and with Mummy Dearest...and watch you all play Badmiton and vball!

Mummy Dearest said...

Word, Monster. Someday I'd like to hay again... oh to fling 50-pound bales at a moving trailer again... Can't believe when I was a kid living in Michigan, I would hay barefooted. Where were my parents?!?!

Monster Librarian said...

HAAAYYY! Pun intended...you've given us identities on your "blogs I like to exlpore..." wow...I feel...hungry...no, I mean that too, but also honored!!!

Kt said...

Yay! I'm explorable! Actually... that sounds kinda wrong. Does this mean I have to start writing something more than random drivel on my blog?

TSOldtimer said...

Of course you guys are explorable! But I'm not sure how honored you should feel, as I think you're the only readership I actually have. So, have fun and explore each other. Wink!

Anonymous said...

I want to know the significance of the numbered Germans... WINK!

TSOldtimer said...

It's simple, anonymous: I know three Germans. They are numbered in chronological order. Perhaps eventually I'll get around to writing about the other two. ;-)

Google