Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Welcome!


Welcome! If you’re reading this, you are family, friend, or some stranger that stumbled upon this blog. This is my note to you about what I’m up to. I hope not to disappoint you. And by that, I mean to say, I hope to be reporting on my life in the big out-there in an entertaining and informative way.

I can start by saying that for the past three years, I’ve been living and working in a therapeutic community for adults with mental illness (check out the handy link to the right). It’s been an amazing experience so far, and I think the time has come for me to move on. While I’ve been here, I’ve developed a bug for traveling, seeing new places, and trying my hand at new things. Just here, I’ve learned about cooking, mental illness, managing people; I’ve co-managed a restaurant, worked in childcare, changed jobs (three times), changed houses (three times), and seen more people than I can remember come and go. I’ve baked bread, dealt with a restaurant staff shortage, thrown pottery, thrown fits, and played countless games of soccer, softball, and pick.

And now, I guess I think it’s time to get going. For too long now have I been on the fence! The time has come to leap over and see what’s on the other side.

So here’s what’s coming. I hope. I want to WWOOF (see the link). I want to do some backpacking. I want to buy a one-way ticket to anywhere and see where I can get from there for cheap. Oh, dear God, what am I thinking? Help.

Well, anyway, this blog is meant to be both a communication to you and a tool to prompt me to get on with it! Along the side, you can find more information about me and some links to sites I’m either reading or using for planning. Check them out and please let me know of any other leads I can be chasing down. Thanks for wandering in, and don’t be a stranger!

4 comments:

Monster Librarian said...

YOU CAN DO IT!! Love the blog!Look, you've already taken a big step just by writing! Love the new pics and I found a mistake in your blog-do I get a prize? You have lived in four different houses at the farm...think hard: Avalon, Bluebird, TS, and Hitching.

Monster Librarian said...

And I love the picture on the right...that looks familiar?

Mummy Dearest said...

Nathan,

Your profile already had 60 views. Someone must have found out you have a blog! Or Amanda and I have just read your profile 30 times each. Nice look! My vote: jump the fence, and do it now before the bull gores you in the bum. Hmm... food for thought.. what does THAT mean??

Kt said...

Mmmm... one way tickets are marvelous. I'm going to get jealous if you start travelling around too too much. If you want any backpacking/country-hopping advice, I'll be happy to oblige from my limited library of experience.
Packing up to leave is hard. You have to do it a little at a time, so your psyche doesn't realize what you're actually doing until you're already out the door.

Google