Thursday, May 17, 2007

Spring and Home?

Ah, it finally seems like Spring! It feels funny to write that, as the weather has been pretty warm for the past few weeks. The change is that, since we’ve had a few big rains, the leaves are now actually appearing on the trees! It looks like this outside all of my windows:

Oh! And I’ve been in my house for a year now! Two days ago was the anniversary of the first night I slept in Hitchin’ Post. It doesn’t quite seem like a year has passed. For heaven’s sake, I still have dried beans and grains from when I moved in! How many times have I cooked for myself? How many events have I hosted? I can count those things on my two hands (and that’s an upward estimate). I suppose one thing is indicative of the length of time I’ve been here; it’s time to change my shower curtain.

Speaking of my house, this seems like a good opportunity to explain a little about where I live. At the Farm, part of our compensation package is room and board. Based on our job level and tenure, we are assigned one of the Farm’s several housing options. Here’s what mine looks like:

Ok, not really, but I did find out last week just what my house is worth as part of my salary. Apparently, for my position I can afford to live in the Berkshires in a two-ish room plumbed cabin for $400 a month. Part of me thinks my little piece of heaven here is worth just a little more than that. But I guess I’m partial.

So for those of you who don’t know, I live on the property, just down the lane from where I work, and a stone’s throw away from our clients’ houses. As a matter of fact, I do believe my neighbors up the hill could look right in my bedroom windows.

Hmm. In other news, I’ve been reading the blog of a group of women (I've put a little linky right over on the sidey) who are currently globe-trotting. What I’ve learned from them has been both exciting and discouraging. I was inspired by their courage to drop everything and hit the road for a year. And then I read about their travel budget: $15,000. I have managed to save one-third of that. In a year and a half. The worst part is that they are specifically avoiding expensive countries. Like all of Europe. They do live a little more highly than I was planning, and I’ll be volunteering, which is something they are not doing, but I’m still a little worried. I shouldn’t be so worried; I still have time to plan, and what I want to do, for less than a year, shouldn’t be too expensive. Of course, as long as I’m smart and don’t stay out there until I run out of money, I should be ok. Right?

3 comments:

Mummy Dearest said...

Yucko on the shower curtain, Nathan! You should really be more ecological -- living in a cabin in the woods and all -- and get a cloth curtain. Then bleach it every few weeks. Then it's like new every time!

I love the pics of your wee abode. I am as green as those leaves with envy that you have such a lovely location in the woods. You forgot to mention the brook running across from your door. Heaven indeed. Why, again, do you want to go to Spain???

Monster Librarian said...

Don't listen to Mummy Dearest-leave and soon!!

You can do it. You can't be scared of what you haven't tried yet, right...this coming from the girl who is deathly afraid of sharks!!
You will do fine...quit *$#* stalling!

Also, I agree with Mummy Dearest about the shower curtain...YUCKO!

Kt said...

No problem! You can always get an actual job anywhere in Europe, as long as you get the visa thing figured out. Plenty of Americans work and then travel, then work some more, repeat ad nauseum. Pubs seem to be a popular work spot. (Hint hint, all pubs in Ireland seem to have fantastic music scenes going on. How can you resist?) If you run low on cash, by golly, work!

In my experience, Italy was by far an away the most expensive country. Andorra was the cheapest, ridiculously, gloriously cheap. And it's next to Spain. Which is also cheap. Your GF money will get you far if you use it right.

Google