Saturday, May 19, 2007

My First List! (Help)

It’s actually raining today. The rain has been threatening since Thursday, and now it’s finally arrived. It’s a perfect opportunity to clean my house. But I think I’ll make a list instead. Here are some things I need to start thinking about in earnest:
Find some farms to volunteer on
Plan a route
Research visas
Research traveler’s insurance
Research transportation options

I guess those are the biggest “chunks” in my to-dos. A list like this would build a skeleton of a plan, yes? And then I flesh it out with the details. Am I missing anything?

I just heard about a former community member who is bumming around Santa Cruz. He’s been camping out in the woods and hanging out on the beach. Food is obtained from the nearby UCSC campus, where I guess he gets either hand-outs or cast-offs. He claims to be having a blast, and apparently hasn’t had to pay rent since he headed west several months ago. I wonder about how he’s actually doing, but if I know him, I’m sure he really is having a great time. One of his resources (for his rent-free existence) is couchsurfing.com.

While all that sounds fun and romantic, I’m not sure how sustainable that lifestyle would be for me. Here’s where I need to start making real plans so that this doesn’t happen. Or, when it does, I know why and that I’m able to end it when I want.

2 comments:

Kt said...

The best way to couchsurf - make many friends scattered around the country. Go on tour.

Now as to that list, I would suggest you add something along the lines of luggage. If you plan on backpacking, you'll have to go light, one nicely stuffed overnight backpack. It should include something on which to lay your head (camp pillow, sweatshirt), a constant water bottle, a bedsheet, and the ol' trusty Camp Soap, which can be used as shampoo, shaving soap, and to do laundry in hostel sinks. (Clothes can then be dried by hanging them on the outside of the backpack.) A money belt is also good for those nights sleeping on trains and busses. Also a lock for anything on your backpack that opens - I know many travellers who have had things stolen right under their noses. Night transport is a balancing act, because you can choose to wear ear plugs and get actual sleep, or you can choose to keep a close watch on your belongings. And for pete's sake, SLEEPER CARS ARE WORTH IT! I'm sure many people have had fine nights trying to sleep upright in normal train seats, but my experiences with it have all been sucky and usually involve drunken people.

I'm rambling. My point is, figure out how to take absolutely everything you need in a pack that you are comfortable wearing all day and walking several miles in. That is all.

Anonymous said...

Check out Echo Valley Farm in Wisconsin, run by my friend/mentor/healer Dena:

www.echovalleyfarmhealing.com
www.echovalleyhope.org

Google