Monday, May 28, 2007

Organic Personals

Searching the WWOOF directory is a lot like browsing personal ads. I almost feel like I need to write my own ad: ‘Single White Volunteer seeks organic farm. Looking for a compatible host with learning opportunities and a warm bed. Fun-loving, giving and can eat vegetarian.’ However, some farm descriptions sound so loose and inviting that I wonder what kind of crazy thing must be wrong with them, while others are so brutally specific I find myself apologizing (to who?) for not being qualified.

The WWOOF organization provides its members with a directory that can be searched a lot like an online catalogue, with keywords and eliminations based on member-entered preferences. I thought I would be clever and adjust my options with as many variables as were available. For example, I could say that I’d like to work in a community or with individuals. I’d like to work with animals or vegetables (or both). I’d like to speak Spanish or English. And I would get six results out of 157. How many small farms out there are run by a corporation and work with minerals? Apparently 151. So it has become my task to download the whole database and sift through it one at a time.

I’ve found a couple of nifty ones, however. One farm also runs an adventure sports outfitter and they use their WWOOFers to help during the busy season. I figure even in the off-season, they must still do those things, so possibly when I’m not harvesting olives or milking goats, I could be climbing or kayaking my way around Spain! Then there’s the farm that’s also into “relating and responding to what shows up in our daily reality... enjoying.” What does that even mean? My favorite so far may be the “ancient monastery perched on the mountainside with hundreds of olive trees.”

One other spiffy little piece of information that makes me scratch my head in wonder: most of these farms are not owned or managed by Spaniards. They seem to be the projects of expatriates who have retired or decided to play at organic farming in Spain. I guess in some cases I may have to give up that idea of living in an authentic cultural experience and go and find one instead.

5 comments:

Mummy Dearest said...

I like the sound of all of them! Harvesting olives sounds like messy fun and goats are always a blast. Maybe you could do a couple? The monastary sounds like it deserves a visit at least... I am impressed that WWOOF now has an online database. When I was considering WWOOFing, they just send me a little book.

Kt said...

The "relating and responding" one makes me think of people sitting around a drum in a haze of smoke. Wonder what sort of "farming" they do? If you're going to be working in Spain, you'll be encountering authentic cultural experiences whether you like it or not, unless you plan on cloistering yourself in your room. I agree with mummy-D; the monastery one sounds neat.

Amos said...

Wow so many great options! You seem to like the kayaking opportunities, and the monastery sounds peaceful and comtemplative. As for the "relating and responding..." that could be a little risky ;-) but hey- whatever floats your boat (or kayak). I agree with Mummy also- can't you do a couple? Goats and kayaking followed by serenity and prayer while picking olives? Just a thought! Love!

Monster Librarian said...

Do a couple Mummy Dearest...? Goats or different farms...no comment. I still contend that Nathan has a girlfriend that lives at the goat farm...and I don't mean in the cabin. HHHAAAAAYYYYY!!!!

TSOldtimer said...

Oh my, yes. I can, and intend to do a couple. Or more. Farms, not goats. Thanks for the notes. There are so many to check out! Like I said, it's tough to get a feel for many of them from such short blurbs.

Google