Monday, August 20, 2007

serf's up

So, have nothing better to spend your money on? Why not send your child to high school in a castle.

This past weekend, I helped cater an event in a castle. You read that correctly. 200 very rich people celebrating the graduations of twelve of their finest and proudest. In a castle. That also happens to be a school. PS—it’s up for sale! Buy it for me!

In an hour and a half, we turned a pile of this…


…into this:



Not bad work. The venue was beautiful, the food delicious, and the crew a lot of fun. Smitty got the gig (she’s done catering with this company before) for German #2 and me. The set up was mostly a snap, and serving food for the event wasn’t as intimidating as I was expecting. All in all, I made as much in 8 hours as I do in one week here at the Farm.
It reminded me of the time I did an afternoon’s gardening with my friend Christy on an estate for her friend’s landscaping company. Funny how acting like a serf makes the most money in a place like the Berkshires. Now, how do I make that happen every week?

2 comments:

Monster Librarian said...

Wow Friend, that is impressive...I have always wanted to go inside there. Looks tre lovely. Who is Smitty catering with? I wish there were serf-dome opps like that in MI, I would love the extra cash. The closest I get to that is when I clean houses with my friend for some extra do rei me...though people with mad cash in the Detroit area have no where near the classy taste of those in the Berkshires...sigh, I wish I were Berkshire nuevo riche (sic?). :)

Amos said...

oh man, doesn't it bite though to realize that you slave over a hot stove for a week when you could be waiting tables and make the same amount in a night? Haha I hope you still feel that the returns are greater than the moolah. :-)

Google