Wednesday, September 12, 2007

bienvenido al consulado general de España...

"Hello. Can you connect me with the visa department, please?"

"Yes, what can I do for you?"

"Is this the visa department?"

"No, but I answer the phones today. Hahaha!"

"Ok... I have some questions about getting a long-term tourist visa for a trip I'd like to take to Spain. Can I ask you?"

"What nationality are you?"

"United States."

"Citizens of the United States do not require a visa for a stay up to 90 days."

"I know. I was hoping to stay longer. Perhaps 4 to 5 months. What are my options for that?"

"Why you want to be a tourist for 6 months? If you are in school, you need to have the school in Spain to contact our office and send in the proper paperwork."

"No, no. I'm not going to school. I'm staying with hosts and will be traveling around on my own. I don't have an official organization sponsoring me."

"Please see the website for information on this visa you are asking about. Ok? Thank you."

3 comments:

Mummy Dearest said...

Sure sounds like a helpful, productive call. Maybe just trash Spain and go to, say, Arizona? Same climate, right?

Kt said...

You could always go on the 90 day allowance, get nestled into a farm, and then try to hash things out as you go. If they require you to get a visa while in the US, you could come back for a quick visit and then return to Spain. The farm that has known you for 90 days would be more willing to sponsor you. If nothing else, you'd have 90 fabulous Spanish days, after which you could go roaming about the rest of Europe.

It would at least save you the current hassle...or postpone it.

Monster Librarian said...

Oh Sugar Bean! How frustrating...and funny to read. I agree with Mummy Dearest, Arizona sounds nice...um...they have...snakes there...? Cue in Beth's voice, "Amanda that was awkward!" Ha ha. Oh, I miss you guys. :)

Google