Sunday, July 1, 2007

dinner & a movie


Friday night brought us wood-fired pizza and homemade ice cream at the Harvest Barn. We haven’t done that in a coon’s age. It was the first of the year (and hopefully several for the summer), and it’s always celebratory. There’s something about shaking up routine, even for one night that gets me excited. Not to mention fresh-baked pizza from a hand-built brick oven. I wonder how many more of those I’ll find out there.

The after-dinner entertainment consisted of a game of American football. Although I hate the sport, I was happy to see so many community members participating. The idea was born of one of our guests from Ireland, and he drummed up most of the support. I spent a few minutes on the sidelines with the small crowd of spectators, amazed that so few of the athletes and cheerleaders had a decent idea of what was going on. Having grown up in a town where football was a pretty big deal, I found it hard to escape a rudimentary understanding. I never did come to like the game, however. I couldn’t stay long to marvel over such an unfamiliar ignorance, as I had to bike back up the hill to change and grab some blankets for…

'A Hard Day’s Night’ on the side of the woodshed! Just across the driveway from the Harvest Barn’s tiered lawn (perfect stadium seating) is a broad woodshed that makes a perfect screen. Farmer Brown chose the flick and set up the equipment while Moo and CJ made greasy popcorn for everybody. Amos spread blankets and people wandered down just as darkness fell for the beginning of the movie. The movie was amusing in itself, but I found I got more enjoyment from gazing out, Amelie-style, over all the watchers stretched out on blankets.


Ah, such a night. And for the next movie, my vote goes to ‘Psycho.’

4 comments:

Monster Librarian said...

I am so jealous...as I already said, you have to watch Help...bizarrely funny...especially the part with the flame throwing snow man...ha ha ha.
You know I still have never seen Amelie...and we own it. Bad me.

Kt said...

Hey, nice addition of the photos! (Where are all the people supposedly watching the movie?) Kick out the Admin and keep doing stuff like this on the farm and I might move back.

A guest from Ireland? Oh, cheers! Is he a cutie? Maybe I'll come back sooner.

Monster Librarian said...

To Kt's comment about the guest from Ireland being cute...I second her question and comment, while also hearing a song playing in the back of my head, "He sneaks out from behind a bush and does something wrong...boundary crosser!"

Kt said...

Heh, but we're not staff anymore, mls. We have no boundaries to cross! Open range!

Google