Tuesday, January 29, 2008

upon reflection

On completing my sojourn in Spain, I’ve decided to take some time to look back on my experiences and take down for my own future reference some of the things I’ve learned.
  • I can travel with shampoo… or short hair.
  • Sometimes, (1) organic and (2) sustainable mean only (1) containing carbon, and (2) able to be upheld or defended.
  • One needn’t sand too much rust off of a piece of metal before one can successfully slather paint over it.
  • The bus is definitely the way to go in Spain. The train is good, but more expensive than Amtrak.
  • The Serranía de Ronda is one of the most impressive places I’ve ever seen.
  • There are a lot of Americans out there.
  • Good leather work gloves are indispensable on Southern Spanish farms.
  • Good leather work gloves are hard to come by in Southern Spain.
  • Puedo hablar Español a los Españoles, pero no puedo entenderlo cuando lo me hablan.
  • LandRovers are badass.
  • And I want one.
  • Olive trees are badass.
  • And I do not want one.
  • Hace frio in Andalucía roughly translates to 'What a lovely night to sleep under the stars!'
  • Real, folky Flamenco is an otherworldly experience.
  • Two weeks in the middle of nowhere can last an eternity.
  • Two weeks in the middle of nowhere can be over before you know it.
  • Two weeks is a long time to do the same thing.
  • Two weeks is not enough time to try all the things that need to be done on a farm.
  • Tapas are a great way to fill up on the cheap. Especially when they come free with drinks!
  • I will never drive across France again unless I’m with a French person. And we know exactly where we are going.
  • It's nice to be home.
PS - More pictures are up from my visit to The Alhambra.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola Nathan,

¿Qué tal? I finally managed to catch up with your blog. I've enjoyed reading about your adventures since HBS. It seems like you've done a lot since then... while I'm still here! I can't believe it's 13 weeks now, but I leave on Monday morning and head for Málaga, where a rendezvous with my parents is planned (well, not really planned, but we've got a few days to work out where to meet in a strange place without the convenience of phones!). Then we'll head to Granada. I've already guaranteed our tickets for the Alhambra via internet (technology, eh?). I see you've already covered this territory the hard way! Soon they will depart (can't believe I haven't seen them since July). Then I'll head up the east coast, taking in Valencia and Barcelona, before my next farm near Girona.

Things have changed a bit at la HBS. Meg, Kev and the two Germans left two weeks ago. Suddenly, three guys from Marseille arrived two days ago. Now everyone is speaking only French and Spanish, where English and German once dominated. I finally finished painting "that" fence after the others departed. And now I'm painting another... Oh, well!!

Good to see you arrived home safely. How is "normal life" again? ¡Que tengas buena suerte!

Saludos,
Breandán

PS. Can I borrow some of your Hacienda photos some time? Gracias!

Mummy Dearest said...

HA HA! Yes, indeed: Landrovers ARE badass. UNLESS...unless you're driving it around NYC. Then it's just yuppie.

Google