Friday, October 19, 2007

i'm just a'goin' over jordan...

Siiiiiiiiiigh...

I made it out. My arrival in Houtzdale was marked by nothing extraordinary. As a matter of fact, I didn't even have a welcome party. My dad was the only one home and was on his way out the door to pick up his truck; I think he was eagerly awaiting my arrival so I could give him a ride.

I'm not sure if the ride was quite the head-clearing, personal-space-providing catharsis I was expecting. Mostly I was just driving. I wasn't struck by the feelings of separation until I was two minutes from my parents' driveway. For whatever reason, stopping at the intersection to Kendrick Road was the visual cue I needed to realize I wasn't going back next week, or next month, or any time in the immediate future. Half of my belongings (two-thirds of which were a bed and chair) fit into the bed of a pick-up and the other half had come ahead of me, to take up a new residence in my parents' basement. I wouldn't climb out of the truck to see Moo, or Mummy Dearest and her brood, Star Pilgrim, Roma, Bob, Steve, Flavio, CJ, or any of them at dinner in forty-five minutes. So the moral is, my dad had to greet and hug his sobbing 25-year-old son, trying to both console him and welcome him home.

Now I'm in Harrisburg. Some homecoming-- arrival only to head out the door 26 hours later for another trip, another commitment. My friends Heather and Jer are getting married this weekend and I'm here to help celebrate. I just hope no unexpected waves of realization and the ensuing self-pity overwhelm me during this joyous occasion.

In other news: Two weeks until I fly! So much to do! Help!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

This entry made me so sad for you! It'll be ok though. It gets easier. You'll have to keep blogging in spain so we can all live vicariously through you!!!

Mummy Dearest said...

Nathan -- we love and miss you! Like rebecca said, keep blogging. It's the new therapy. And you'll be back -- to party till the breaka-breaka atleast!

Monster Librarian said...

I second what Becca said...blog often!!

There is no shame in crying...you seem to be doing it better than I was...remember talking to me everyday while I cried for about an hour a day! :)

I am proud of you. Spain bound sojourner. :)

Mummy Dearest said...

Hey! Are you ready to go? So soon! You all ready to fly out?

Google